Thursday, January 17, 2019

book chat - How to Be Alive

How to Be Alive by Colin Beavan, Published January 5th 2016 by Dey Street Books (first published August 11th 2015)
I don't often read a book twice, which is why I so rarely buy a book these days other than reference type books such as cookbooks and those on various hobbies, etc. I first borrowed this book from the library nearly three years ago and enjoyed it. I then listened to the audiobook version last summer.

I first became aware of Beavan when I watched the documentary of No Impact Man. A guy in NYC trying to only have a positive impact? What's not to love?! Sure, some of his experiments during that year were extreme and not sustainable over time, but it was entertaining and also educational.

In this book, Beavan addresses a wide variety of world issues and how we can have the impact we want to have and live a life in line with our values. He also discusses focusing on areas (environmental, social, etc) that are most important to us to have the biggest impact and not beating ourselves up for not being able to do everything perfectly all the time. I love his "do what you can" attitude. This would be a perfect fit for anyone wanting to make a more positive impact, especially those who feel overwhelmed by all the problems in the world today. Well worth a read in my opinion. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind. =)