Thursday, February 25, 2016

a craftsman's legacy

Thanks to a post on Instagram awhile back, I got hooked on watching A Craftsman's Legacy*. If you haven't seen it, check it out! It's awesome. :-) The host, Eric Gorges, highlights a different craftsman (or woman) each episode and we get to learn a bit about their craft right along with him. The highlighted crafts run the gamut so there's something for everyone to enjoy!

I love this sentiment shared by woodworker John Wilson in the very first episode:
Perfection is... the best you can do today.

In the technology-driven days of today, handcrafted items and the skills required to produce them aren't always appreciated as they once were and sadly, we are losing a lot of these skills that years ago were common-place. Thankfully, artisanal products have been gaining popularity in recent years as many yearn to go back to the basics so some crafts have been making a resurgence.

I love creating things with my hands, but I wouldn't call myself an expert in any of my crafts. I tend to do a little of everything, but I do love encouraging others to try new things and do what they love so maybe that's my legacy...

What legacy will you leave?

*Follow the link and join the Legacy Society (totally free) and you'll gain access to the entire first and second season online. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind. =)