Friday, December 28, 2018

book chat - Dear Bob and Sue Seasons 1 & 2 and Dories Ho!

I love a good travel book and these written by Matt and Karen Smith did not disappoint. Proof that one doesn't need to travel to a distant locale to find adventure and beauty.

Dear Bob and SuePublished November 1st 2012
I really enjoyed this account of an empty-nester couple traveling to all 59 National Parks! (Originally, it was 58, but one more NP was added after initial publication - the audiobook includes the 59th.) The couple seems to have ample means since they quit their jobs and their trips included a lot of flights, hotel stays and rental cars so this aspect may not be incredibly relatable to many, however, the stories along the way are mostly entertaining and informative. If you're looking for stories of camping in the parks or leisurely enjoying nature, this isn't the book for you. This isn't the most "outdoorsy" couple - she avoids peeing in the woods, they stay in hotels at each park. They do a lot of hiking though at times they seem to be rushing through - in part this seems to be due to their competitive nature. Still, I enjoyed the stories and got plenty of chuckles from the book. I've already requested my library purchase the second book, Dear Bob and Sue: Season 2.

Dories, Ho!Published October 15th 2017
Ahh, this recounting of Matt and Karen Smith's adventure floating down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon makes me want to book a trip! The Grand Canyon has always been one of my favorite national parks, but I've never been to the bottom. I need to fix that someday... For now, I was happy to go along with this couple and their friends.

Dear Bob and Sue Season 2Published July 1st 2018 by Matt Smith
The second season is nearly as good as the first. I could have done without all the animal pelt talk, but well worth a read or listen!
I'm always looking for new travel books. What are your favorites? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind. =)